[Tango-L] Tango is not a pose

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Wed May 9 13:43:06 EDT 2007

Hi Marisa,

Your post is quite good and accurate. I got a chuckle out of your
description of the monomaniac tango dancer ;-). Personally I find the tango
posers to be just as annoying or even more so that the "exited atomic
particle" type of dancer who darts about the floor. At least the later will
not obstruct the LOD continuously as the "immovable object" posers. IMHO
anyone who cannot move along the LOD, especially while dancing valses and
milongas is just blowing smoke about all the "pauses in the music". They
just have not learned to dance very well yet. Don't believe all the BS you
read or hear from other plodders. The tango has a LOD for a reason. The
dance "progresses" along the line of dance. It's not a stationary period of
heavy breathing....

Also, the idea that somehow completing a "lap" around the dance floor in
each song is an index of good dancing is total crap. How can such a
pointless feat be accomplished with all the variables involved? The length
of the song, the number of posers, the length of the perimeter of the dance
floor, and other factors will affect how far one can travel along the LOD.

There seems to be a number of people who think that the majority of tango
dancers dance too fast.... Funny, perhaps the issue is with the minority who
progresses too slowly? There is a big difference in dancing to the music and
with the music or dancing off the beat and with disregard for the music. The
tango is mostly very rhythmic. The milonga and vals are even more compelling
to move. With few exceptions such as Pugliese or Piazzolla and other
orchestras that play in that style, the tango music moves right along in the
4x4 or 2x4 rhythm. Sure, one can pause a beat or 2, but I don't think that
stationary posing while Darienzo or Rodriguez (and most other orchestras)
are playing is not "dancing to the music" and definitely not good tango
dancing.

Cheers

Manuel

visit our webpage