[Tango-L] Tango is not a pose

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Wed May 9 13:17:04 EDT 2007

Amen to Marisa.

But let me add that the matter Igor began this thread with is quite
different from pausing With the music, or likewise people treating the
ronda as a racetrack. He was talking about dancers who plain obstruct
the line of dance (probably because they aren't aware of what's going on
behind them, or don't give a damn). One does see this aspect of _bad_
floorcraft creating a cascading problem from time to time.

If leaders are going to work together in the ronda, sometimes it means
sacrificing one's own preferences or style or personality (etc). I
believe Igor was venting at the distribution of this sacrifice falling
more on some leaders (himself, etc.) than on others (the telephone poles
and the whirligigs).

That you cannot dance too slow is a hogwash statement. Some need to hear
it, yes: but that doesn't mean that others don't need to hear the
opposite, especially when their sluggard pace is nice for their own
embrace and horrendous for everyone else's. That belongs, if at all, on
the inside lanes for a reason. But offenders will do it in the "fast
lane," asking for collisions & pooping on the party, and it's that kind
of selfishness & obliviousness that really has no excuse. If floor
conditions make it possible to make a creative decision of that nature,
it should be made where it won't impose the same decision on others.

The music has _harmonies_ too.

Spatz
DC