[Tango-L] Attending a lesson above your dancing skills

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 27 13:00:11 EDT 2007

It was said

" Hi Trini, I wasn't referring to Chris' recent message, but his email dated
and reprinted below.

To: Tango-L at mit.edu
Subject: Re: [Tango-L] Discussion Topics
From: "Chris, UK" <tl2 at chrisjj.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 04:24 +0100 (BST)

Here is an example from a study I made about five years ago of the methods
of
about 60 tango teachers.

Gustavo Naviera taught a lesson on "Boleos". He began by having the class
watch
his dancing... a demonstration of a long sequence near the end of which was
one
boleo. He then asked the class to copy it. Some could not get past the
tricky
turn at the start. Some more got stuck on the cross-system chain in the
middle.
A few got as far as the boleo. Some skipped most of the sequence and cut
straight
to the boleo. This was an example of a method that excluded most of the
class
from the lesson.

Chris"

* IMO
This is a typical example of a lesson programmed for advanced dancers which
is filled with students of lower skill levels.

When faced with this situation one can

1)  adjust the teaching to a lower level.  The advanced students are
shortchanged.

2) Give an advanced lesson as scheduled. Most students can not follow.

3) Remind everybody that the lesson is for advanced students and ask those
that do not belong there to leave before the lesson starts.  Many people and
the organizers get upset.

Sergio