[Tango-L] Tango Festival report

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Mon Mar 26 11:07:40 EDT 2007

Sorry, the first Denver festival was Sept 2000.

It is also fair to ask what defines a festival, as compared with a
"big weekend with multiple teachers" or a "regional festival". I
think the number of visitors makes the difference.

A weekend with 2 teaching couples, 3 milongas, 6 workshops, might be
considered a big weekend or a festival. If attendance is just 80
locals, maybe it's a "big weekend". But, if you had 40 locals and 40
visitors, maybe it could be minimally called a festival, even if that
sounds like a pretty small event to someone from Portland or New York.

Of course things have changed since 2000 when there were a handful
(seven?) festivals. Today a dozen festivals around the US are
attracting 400 - 600 people and another dozen 100 - 300.

The nice thing is that there are so many options for tango fanatics.
You have regional events within driving distance, and specialty
events focussing on specific styles. You want the Beach? Mountains?
City? Mostly younger?