[Tango-L] Tourists & Janis - another perspective

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Mon Mar 19 00:03:52 EDT 2007

Hello, everybody,

It seems that everyone took so very personally what Janis had
written.  I have a different take on it.  I assume that most of the
dancers who had replied and were personally offended have at least
one place in the world where they are not considered to be
foreigners.  I do not have such a place, and so here is my view:

Sometimes, it is a great disadvantage to be immediately spotted as
being a tourist/foreigner.  This usually is a clear disadvantage in
any new situation where you have not had the time to assess the
place, the action of the people and their manners or attitudes.  You
are spotted before you realize where you are in regard to other people present.

If you are in a part of town of any city in the world that is known
for unpredictable or dangerous situations, there is a clear
disadvantage in standing out from the crowd.

In Buenos Aires, if you are spotted in the milongas as being a
foreigner/tourist before you assess the situation, the codes, the
people (whether or not you know any of them), the music - the general
feeling of the milonga - it can greatly alter your experience of
it.  It changes how people see you, talk to you, ask you to dance,
accept your invitations, what they talk to you about - everything!

What Janis has described can build some awareness of certain
signs.  If dancers can become aware of some of these behaviors that
give them away without their consent, they can control it.  I think
that it is much more advantageous to choose to be spotted as a
foreigner/tourist or not instead of it happening by default.

There may be some days when one says "Who cares!  I am a foreigner
and I don't care who knows it or why."  There may be other days when
one might decide to have a different kind of experiences that are not
marked by clear labels of who they are or where they are from.  I
think that it is best if dancers have a choice in that and what Janis
has written can help them make that choice from a place of awareness.

The trick is not to be personally attached to any of the behaviors
that Janis has described and not take the description as a mortal offense.

My very best regards,

Nina