[Tango-L] Heels first vs. toes first

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 14:13:43 EDT 2007

--- Michael <tangomaniac at cavtel.net> wrote:
> To get onto the ball of the foot, I pull my hips back. As
> the hips go backward, my weight comes forward onto the
> ball of the foot.

Hmmm.  Pulling the hips back give me a different sensation
than when I think about bringing my chest forward by
tilting my pelvis forward.  Interesting.

> With my weight forward, my chest is forward, making
> contact with the woman's chest. As I move my chest
> forward, the woman steps backward.  My free foot comes
> forward to support my weight AFTER the woman moves
> backward.
>
> I also dance ballroom where the lead is different. When I
> step forward with my heel, my pelvis goes forward for the
> smooth dances (Tango, Waltz, Fox trot). The lead ISN'T in
> the chest. I don't understand how to lead Argentine tango
> same way as ballroom, stepping on the heel. If I move my
> chest first in Argentine tango, I don't understand how I
> can dance with my heel.

> Michael
> I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango

It may help you to think of all walking movement as
starting from the pelvis with the chest simply resting on
top of the pelvis.  This is independent of whether you're
dancing toe-first or heel-first.  A good exercise is to
have someone place their hands on your hips and give you a
lot of resistance (I mean a lot).  When I work with student
on this (I'm the one giving resistance), I watch their
shoulders.  If their shoulders start coming forward before
I feel their hip movement (which usually happens), I
immediately stop them and point out that they are trying to
use their chest to walk, rather than their pelvis.  The
common beginner's exercise of woman placing her hands on
the man's chest does a disservice in associating the
impulse to walk with the chest.  It actually comes from the
man's body position.  As the student learns to drives with
his/her pelvis & legs, I ease up on the resistance.

Also, I think of the chest as more of a space
creater/blocker than as something to force a movement from
the woman.  The woman should be moving on her own.

These concepts may make walking forward heel-first easier
for you.

Trini de Pittsburgh

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/