[Tango-L] Heel-first versus Toe-first, teaching history

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Thu Mar 15 13:36:33 EDT 2007

A student of mine pointed out that the footwork of a really good
dancer is extremely subtle. It may be difficult to visually determine
whether the weight was taken first by the heel or toe. Rolling
through the foot? Landing on ball but not heel? Landing on ball then
back to heel?

Even on stage the foot placement may not be as important as the
particular visual line of leg and foot.

LAYERED OF LEARNING

My position comes from the fact that I am teaching normal, (mostly
middle-aged) adults. When I teach ballerinas or someone from
ballroom, I pull them aside for more specific words.

Focussing on details of foot placement, specifically telling a
beginner to land toe first, is a huge distraction from more important
things, like standing upright, walking boldly forward, walking in a
straight line, leading the follower, learning tango steps.

More than that, the focus on toe first creates bad habits and really
weird walking. Again, it isn't about the foot placement, but about
what happens in the torso, hips and upper legs. Normal, "sidewalk"
walking is a great foundation for tango walking. Details of foot
placement should come later when the student has balance, posture and
confidence.