[Tango-L] Heel-first versus Toe-first

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 17:54:41 EDT 2007

Hi listeros,

So I think I finally have a reasonable answer to whether
one steps forward with the heel first or the toe first.
But I want to see what findings others have on this
technical difference.

For many years, it just appeared to me to be a difference
related to grounding or to appearance.  My problem was that
even though I work with a lot of "heel-first" teachers, I
often found myself stepping forward with my toe first when
following, particularly during turns.  Since I work in
flats, this becomes noticeable.  So I thought this was
something I was doing wrong, despite the fact that teachers
didn’t commented on it much during private lessons.  (In
one lesson, I was told to walk heel first when going
straight but toe-first during ochos.  But with another
teacher I was told to go heel first during turns.  Arrgh!)

One answer is that one needs to be on the toes (no weight
on heels) to change weight quickly, such as synocpas.  But
since the forward step of a molinete is slow, that was not
a satisfactory explanation for me.

What I now understand is that the way one steps has a lot
to do with the muscles in the torso.  Specifically,
developing my core muscles to hold up my chest and ribcage
causes my internal obliques to lift the hip of my free leg
higher than the hip of my standing leg.  Although the hip
of my free leg drops as I extend, my toe is still the part
that touches down first without excess muscle.  Forcing my
heel down first uses more muscle.

To step forward heel-first comfortably requires me to be
more on the heel of my standing leg or to drop the hip of
my free leg.  But there is only so much I can drop my hip
without breaking my axis.

That’s my theory, anyway.  As long as I am not falling into
the step but rolling my weight onto my metatarsal (from
either the heel or from the points of my toes), I think
either way works.

What’s a little frustrating for me is that everyone talks
about the different ways of walking as if it was an
individual stylistic choice.  In reality, it’s a function
of anatomy related to moving in an organic way, as opposed
to forcing a movement.  Teachers are so often into their
own way of walking that they don’t really contrast it with
other ways.

Can someone else confirm this theory or add something I may
have not considered?

Thanks,
Trini de Pittsburgh

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/