[Tango-L] Milonga Reviews

Meredith Klein meredithleeklein at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 22:12:26 EST 2007

Chris wrote:
> You've said you look for the amazing dancers and watch them. To glean
> technique. To keep "your finger on the pulse of ongoing developments
> in tango" and to "be part of the community of professional dancers".
>
> All of which you do from your chair.
>
> An average guy looking to dance has very different concerns. He
> necessarily focusses on the guys at the lower end of the range since it's
> they that determine how comfortable or rough the dancing is. Whether the
> dancers at the top of the range are amazing or not makes little difference
> to the enjoyment of everyone else.
>
> Your experience is one of show tango.
>
> His is one of social dance.

I don't know where you got the idea that I spend my time in the
practicas sitting.  No, I go to Malcolm to dance, I dance for hours,
and then I go to La Viruta or Salon Canning to dance some more because
I honestly can't get enough.  That's why I took apart my life in the
US and moved here two years ago.

And I don't just watch the people in the practicas who inspire me, I
dance with them, and sometimes practice with them and talk about our
perceptions of the dance and learn from them.

But somewhere in those 6+ hours between 11:30 pm and 6 am, I often
find myself sitting and I make use of that time to learn what I can by
watching other people.

I think it's kind of funny that after I've written a number of
detailed posts to this list about the social dance scene here in
Buenos Aires, you accuse me of going to the practicas for the "show."
Very strange.