[Tango-L] Milonga Reviews

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Thu Mar 8 16:50:00 EST 2007

Meredith wrote:

> You can go to any milonga in Buenos Aires and focus on the less
> experienced or simply less talented dancers in the room and come away
> making generalizations about the decline of tango.  Or you can focus
> on the talented dancers who are committed to taking their dance as far
> as it can go, and leave the milonga uplifted and inspired.

I think that underlines the difference between a guy going to the milonga
to dance, and a girl going for reasons of professional development.

You've said you look for the amazing dancers and watch them. To glean
technique. To keep "your finger on the pulse of ongoing developments
in tango" and to "be part of the community of professional dancers".

All of which you do from your chair.

An average guy looking to dance has very different concerns. He
necessarily focusses on the guys at the lower end of the range since it's
they that determine how comfortable or rough the dancing is. Whether the
dancers at the top of the range are amazing or not makes little difference
to the enjoyment of everyone else.

Your experience is one of show tango.

His is one of social dance.

Chris