[Tango-L] One more tango video

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Wed Mar 7 16:35:02 EST 2007

Sorry, Manuel, I addressed you not mentioning your name, and you paid me
with the same...
Now I do.

I do not think there is a style called "performance tango", or "stage
tango".
On stage they use all dancing styles, and everything else even from other
dances to make impression in accordance with a goal of the performance. It
is a mix of styles, techniques, and even dances. I mean performance like in
a theatre. Of course, performance for us, tango aficionados, is a different
matter.

But any performance dance fall into two types of styles. First is the style
of dance: Nuevo, Orillero, Salon, and so on. That is what unites the dance
with music, places, history, other dancers, methods of artistic impression.
Even with various additions at least one style is vividly present. It forms
a backbone of the performance and usually is connected strongly with music.
Second is a personal style of performers, that is what differentiates the
dancers from other dancers.

Mixing 2 styles in equal manner is difficult and few can do it. It is the
road to creation of something truly fabulous, new, amazing.

Igor Polk

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the correction. I guess my eyes are not so good anymore and
neither is that low res video ;-) Anyway, I still stand by my description of
their style as "performance tango".

Manuel