[Tango-L] Milonga Reviews

Ed Doyle doyleed at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 11:56:33 EST 2007

So after all this I am unclear as to what exactly is the difference between
a practica and a milonga.  If in both, all the same rules/conventions are to
be followed, i.e. line of dance, no stopping, stay in lanes, and all the
other even more important rules - protecting partner, dancing with the
music, ... So exactly what can one do at a practica that one should not do
at a milonga.  Is it perhaps the conventions for inviting a partner to
dance, cabaseo, vs. asking verbally and identifying what one would like to
practice,  or perhaps at a practica one might keep the same partner for many
tandas in a row if both partners would like to work on a particular step or
lead or connection or any aspect of the dance.  It it that somehow the
practica is more of a 'learning experience' than a 'social experience'.  I
am fishing here to sort out in my own mind exactly what is the difference
between a practica and a milonga. I suddenly realize I have often gone to
practicas with the intention of practincing leading a particular step, and
in fact got lost in the music and 'milonga like' aspects of the practica and
eventually went home and realized while I had a wonder time, danced with
many lovely partners, I never once practiced or led the step I had orginally
intended to practice.