[Tango-L] Mens group practice

m i l e s miles at tangobliss.com
Wed Jun 27 12:18:24 EDT 2007

 >Men are also uncomfortable following because they have little practice
 >with it and are consequently very clumsy. So here you are, a great
tango
 >dancer in your own right and first time you lead you do everything
that
 >you've been grousing at beginner's for. That's a dis-incentive for
some.
 >The sort of awareness you need is very different than when you lead as
 >well as the body sense. Contrary to popular lore, following is gosh
darn
 >hard work. The biggest limiting factor I'm finding in my tango is that
 >women don't really think there is that much to following and
 >consequently do not try to expand their abilities once they hit their
 >comfort zone.

Ding!  Right on the money.

I've been in foundations classes here in the bay area and in boston,
where certain MEN will not take me as their follower because I'm a
guy.  Its not because I'm a bad follower, its the whole GUY-THING.

I completely agree with this assertion that if you lead, you must
learn to follow.  It makes you better leader...it really does.  As a
lead you begin to understand exactly what is being asked of you as a
follower, it also strangely enough allows you the capacity to break
down the dance in a way that you hadn't seen before and thereby
produce some amazing figures as a lead.  You begin to see
opportunities everywhere instead of putting your feet where they're
'supposed' to be, you begin to experiment and play and create.  Its
actually quite freeing in more ways than you can imagine possible.

Tango from the lead side of things can be very mentally arduous.  But
its a whole different angle when you add on top of that the level of
work that a follower has to go through in order to do what you just
'suggested' she do for you.  I say suggested because it is a
suggestion, because in the few short months that I've been actively
following, I've learned that I've become a better leader because I
know exactly what I'm asking my follower to do, because I've done it
myself.  Its improved my embrace, its improved my communication
skills, its opened opportunities.  I can't stress this enough...leads
- LEARN HOW TO FOLLOW!  You'll begin to understand just how frakkin
hard it is to do what some neophyte or experienced lead with an over
inflated ego who knows nothing of what its like to follow is asking
of you.  And being rather brutish about it.  Yes you will look stupid
at first, but you'll get better.  And then you'll begin to appreciate
the better leads in the room.  It will change your dance.  I know a
lead here in the bay area that changed his whole M.O. after going to
a men's practica, and now you see him taking foundations classes as a
follower all the time.  Well I see it.  He's actually getting better
as a lead and a follower...and I've heard women say the same thing
about it.

The same thing for followers....LEARN HOW TO LEAD.  It will get rid
of those nasty habits that every lead has been yapping at you about
for the last X number of years!  At the same time it will improve
your abilities in so many areas.  You'll finally get that whole 'on
the beat' thing. Why its important to keep your embellishments clear,
small and not to go wild on your dance partner.  And that's just the
tip of the iceberg.  It will also open up a world of dance partners
for you, instead of sitting all night long, change your shoes and
become a leader and get to dancing! Talk about a wild ride!

Just my .43 cents worth.

Oooops, there I go again, I'm in your inbox...again  Sorry about that.

M i l e s.