[Tango-L] Videos of Dancing at Milongas

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Sat Jun 23 01:59:18 EDT 2007

I very much doubt that this would be a major reason people would not want to
be filmed. I only know a very small number of married couples attending
milongas together in Tokyo, anyway. For one couple, both partners dance with
others too. For another couple, the wife once confided to me that she does
not enjoy dancing tango with her husband- "because he makes her follow him
all the time at home too, and this is no different" (!). Everone else leaves
their partner at home, if they have one, and practically never talk about
him/her. A normal thing to do in Japanese culture, by the way.
However, I once brought a camera to a practica, got a bit of footage of
everyone, including myself, and when viewing and sharing the results later,
I told two Japanese friends that "you learn a lot about your mistakes when
you can see yourself on video". Both of them never came back for months
after that. Uh- oh...

> "Good point John, but more relevant to the milongas of BA
> than the USA. I don't know about the EU."
-------------------

Probably infinitely less relevant in the EU than the US. Americans are the
only dancers I have ever noticed pointing out that "they only dance with
their wife/husband". Make they feel they are being good and doing what they
are supposed to be doing- but how boring !

> But I'm not sure why you singled out the "male first-class
> passengers". Clearly, for that to be true, then it must be
> equally true that every last one of the female first-class
> passengers was with someone other than her husband.
>
> Sean
. Every last one of the male first-class passengers