[Tango-L] The other side of the street

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Thu Jun 21 16:57:00 EDT 2007

I never thought much about being filmed or photographed until recently.
I get my picture taken a lot.  One day I was in a milonga and people
were filming me dance with Pocho, my 83 year old partner.  We were
dancing TRUE Villa Urquiza style.  The people filming me were from
Germany.  The woman recognized me from my blog.  She never asked if she
could film me.  She only asked me if I was Deby.  She told me she read
my blog, she had read about my dancing with Pocho.

Another day, another milonga.  Some guys was taking pictures of me.
Then he was filming me.  It was a little weird.  I did not want to be
paranoid.  So I went up to him to ask him if he was singling me out.
Another guy who reads my blog.  Asked many people if I was me to make sure.

End of story.  I received emails from people in Germany and the U.S.
Both people USED the videos of me to teach their students.  The videos
were not casual videos of a milonga.  Both people were filming me,
because I was me.  Both wanted to show their students what my style
looked like I suppose.  Who cares.  The point being that a video was
made of me.  These teachers charge their students.  The teacher made
money off of me.  I made nothing.  This is the point the dancers here
are trying to make.

No one will be able to learn my style from a video.  It is flattering to
be taped.  I do resent the video being used commercially.  Why do many
dancers refuse to be videoed?  For the same reasons.  It is an invasion
of privacy.  Filming a milonga is one thing.  Filming someone dance with
the intent to use the film commercially (in whatever capacity) is not
acceptable.

Semantics...semantics...semantics....why do we in Buenos Aires have to
conform to your semantics?  Here, where tango is considered the heart;
a professional dancer is one who makes their living from dancing -
whether it be teaching or dancing or a combination of both.  It is not
the house painter and his girl friend who teach when they can and then
tour when someone will sponsor them.  It is the person whose career is
only to dance and to teach.  It is not a milonguero who dances 20 hours
a day and has no means to subsist other than a pension or the goodness
of friends and family.  It does not matter if this person dances tango,
salsa, or swing.  Just because you give lessons does not make you a
professional.  Just because you are a professional, it does not mean you
know what you are doing.  Sigh....