[Tango-L] Buenos Aires Tango Festivals - Criticism

Alberto Gesualdi clambat2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Jun 19 10:51:22 EDT 2007

Enclosed herewith is TITO PALUMBO'S PUBLISHER'S LETTER edited in
B. A. TANGO – Buenos Aires Tango magazine, Nº 184, June 2007.

 If you think that the topic is important, please, answer us to abatango at yahoo.com.ar

and/or forward it to your acquaintances and friends.

 PUBLISHER'S LETTER
 Dear reader friend:

 Some readers propose the creation of different categories in the
dance championships organized by the city government; one category
for amateurs and another for professionals. And I am going to give
my opinion; I do not think that this proposal will become a fact.

 The diffusion and sale of the dancers' filmed
material is a business. And dancers do not obtain any income from
the revenues generated by this business. In other words, videos and
DVDs are sold; rights are assigned for the broadcasting in the
country and abroad; movies are shown in theaters; but the true
main characters, the dancers, do not receive a single cent of the
money collected from these commercial activities.

 Provisions 35 in the Metropolitan Championship
Regulations and 04 in the World Championship Regulations stipulate
that the General Office of Festivals of the City reserves to itself
the right to record all the phases in these championships and to
retain the ownership of those records –as well as to do any type of
business with them– WITHOUT PROVIDING DANCERS WITH A SINGLE BUCK AS
FEES OR REMUNERATION.

 If in the championships it was created a category
for Professional Dancers, then the Argentine Actors Association, the
union which represents these workers, could claim for the right to
the corresponding remuneration. This organization' s additional
interest would be due to the fact that they would receive a
percentage. And in this way, the exploitation of others' work that
the authorities of this city are carrying out in agreement with
pseudo businessmen would be finished.

 While amateur dancers and professional ones are
mixed up, it is difficult for the union to find good arguments to
get involved.
 * * *
 I feel shame on behalf of others because the
associations that gather dancers –though they are not unions– do not
care about claiming for the image, the interpreters and the
choreographic creation rights corresponding to their members and,
besides that, sponsor and actively cooperate with official
authorities to carry out this dispossession.
 * * *
 With a tanguero embrace, I remain very truly yours
sincerely

TITO PALUMBO

Publisher

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.