[Tango-L] "You'll both be in a lean.."

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 10 10:48:05 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Astrid gives an excellent description of what I referred to
as the woman having a "core".  The stronger the core, the
better able the man can initiate a greater lean and get a
longer stride (along with the use of contrabody movement).
Most women should be able to handle a slight lean caused by
the man repositioning his standing leg back a couple of
inches, which could give 'Mash the additional couple of
inches he wants without making her panic.  It's possible
that more contrabody (without the lean) might also gain
that couple of inches.

To get more extreme strides requires that the man also
needs to trust the woman to accept his weight, as well,
which she transfers to the floor through her bone structure
which is aligned by her core.  A lot of women, however,
will misinterpret this weight as an indication to step
backward.  Why? Because she thinks she has to hold her own
weight and be on her own balance as opposed to maintaining
the balance of the couple.  He ends up falling into his
next step and chasing after her.  (One nice thing about
volcadas is that they make women work a lot harder on their
core.)

A useful way of thinking about length is to think about
making the body long as opposed to the step along the floor
long.  So as a woman reaches back and down with her leg,
her torso needs to reach up and forward to balance and
extend her body.  It feels great when I dance with a guy
(like Robert Hauk) who can make me stretch all the way out
but who doesn't take up a lot of floor space.

Trini de Pittsburgh