[Tango-L] Tall Tango Dancers

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 17:50:27 EDT 2007

Hi Mash,

Here are a couple of tips concerning close-embrace tango
that I haven't heard mentioned.  It's been useful to one of
our 4'11" student who dances with 6' Sean and taller guys.

GETTING LONGER STEPS FROM YOUR PARTNER
- It's much easier for women to take longer steps when they
allow the man to carry their weight as they transfer their
weight.  As long as the woman keeps her core and the man
shares his weight with her, she will still feel weightless
to the leader.  This shared weight will occur if you're
apilado, which can be acheived if you're in a neutral
position by keeping your chest (or point of contact on the
torso) still while repositioning your standing leg slightly
back.  Then you will just make sure to soften her knee so
she can bend it as needed to take a longer step backwards
while leaning against you.  For example, if you want to
step forward with your left foot, reposition your right
foot without changing her position, and then step forward
with your left.  You'll both be in a lean and should feel a
stronger pressure during the initial part of the step.

The shared weight is also helpful for her taking long steps
forward.  I don't know of anyway to trick her into sharing
weight going forwards though if she doesn't already know
that technique.

REACHING HIGHER IN THE EMBRACE
- The trick to the woman lifting her left arm higher for a
tall man is for her to rotate her upper arm and then lift.
The bone of the upper arm is shaped with a knob at the top.
 If she just lifts her arm, that knob will push up the
collar bone, which will limit her mobility and may cause
her arm to feel heavy.  However, if she rotates her upper
arm counterclockwise, the knobby part of the bone will be
out of the way of the collar bone.  She can then lift her
arm much higher without forcing up her shoulder.

You can try it by placing your right arm on your left
shoulder and lifting your arm both ways.  It should be a
noticeable difference.  I usually teach the movement with
the right arm first, with the palm side of the hand as the
head of a snake that is slithering up a tree.  Then it's
easier to transfer the movement to the left arm.

Hope that helps.

Trini de Pittsburgh