[Tango-L] DJ - image matching music

Huck Kennedy huck at eninet.eas.asu.edu
Mon Jul 30 13:05:34 EDT 2007

RogerWebsa <roger at websa.com.au> writes:
> I recently DJ'd a Milonga and had a separate screen displaying
> an image of the relevant band/singer.  This was done manually and,
> as most Tandas were by the same, singer/band it was not too difficult.
>
> The concept was well received by the dancers.
> However:-
> Does any one know of software that will match images to music.
> So that when you play a piece of music the relevant image, which you
> have connected to that piece, will automatically display.

     Alas, I can't help you with regard to what you are
seeking, but I just wanted to heartily thank you for the
effort you are making to help us dancers who want to
further educate ourselves about orchestras, singers, and
song titles.  It would be really great if all DJs did this,
even if an elaborate projection screen was impractical,
and it was just plain lettering in a large font on
a cheap video monitor facing the floor that dancers who
wanted to could read as they danced by.  But as you say,
unless a DJ wanted to type the info in by hand each
song (which would soon get to be intolerably tedious),
you'd need software to automatically lift those fields out
of whatever the mp3-playing software the DJ was using,
and display it on the other monitor.

Huck