[Tango-L] Effective Dancing [Was: Effective Practice]

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Mon Jul 30 10:29:54 EDT 2007

Hi Everyone:

The goal of practice is to become more effective at dancing.  Practice may
be helpful, but only if it is done in a manner that is consistent with
effective tango dancing itself.

What are the elements of effective social dancing?  Such dancing cannot be
reduced down to a set of mechancial skills.  The embrace, the relationship
with one's partner, the relationship with others on the dance floor, and
the relationship with music are the context within which we dance tango.
Practicing by oneself may help develop some mechanical skills, such as
balance, musicality, knowledge of step patterns, etc., but they also
remove the entire context of tango.

Practicing with a partner improves matters considerably because it is
closer to dancing.  Practicing in a room full of others improves matters
even more but it is even closer to dancing.  Some might go even farther
and claim that practicing at a milonga is even better, but it is
reasonable to recognize that social norms separate practice and social
dance.

Tango is a dance in which is it easy to become obsessed with perfection.
The taste of heaven that is found within tango may encourage some to seek
perfection.  Others may bring their own perfectionism to tango.  But we
should never confuse heaven and perfection.  They are very different.  The
path of perfectionism often leads away from heaven--as we find ourselves
accompanied and driven forward by demons (aka a monkey mind) that become
quite familiar.  If we pursue perfection in our practice, we are likely
developing the demons that seek to keep us from effective dancing.

In tango, heaven is found through the simple gift of grace.  That comes
from getting out on the dance floor with the person that happens to be
right for the moment, opening one's heart and falling in love again.  The
times that this happens, one is just happy to be in the arms of another at
the end of the tanda.

Many blissful tangos,
Steve