[Tango-L] Women's role - what teacher is better for advanced ladies.

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Sat Jul 28 22:11:01 EDT 2007

Trini:
"more intimidating to work with someone you know is more skilled than you
are."

May be, but if so, he is not suitable for her to work at all on advanced
level.
Jake is right. Chemistry is most important. One can discover much more
working with the person with the right chemistry than with someone
intimidating, even if he has a loud name.

I do not like the word "perfecting skills". Yes, Trini, practically any
partner is suitable for that. But I'd like to emphasize again. Advanced
training has very little to do with "perfecting skills". "Perfecting skill"
- that is for intermediate level. Going to advanced level one should have a
set of skills which are perfect to work with: to learn how to create a
dance, discovering new opportunities in the dance.

"Creation of the dance" - that is the goal of advanced level training,
especially when one speaks about "interpretation of the lead by her own
choice"

It is impossible without a great partner who is equally good or more. First
of all it is him who create the dance, at least the generally structure of
it, no matter what women say. Then, in her "interpretations" he should be
able to catch up. Show me an intermediate man who can to it !

Nina said wonderfully:
" in tango, the woman is not powerful if the man is not, and the man's
power is trapped, if the woman he dances with is weak in her power."

Advanced woman's training is impossible without a man who is advanced.

What is training with the less advanced dancer? In reality, it is HIS
training. She brings him up to her, then ( if he is talented enough to move
forward ) they will progress further.

Igor Polk