[Tango-L] Rampant serious misunderstandings about "Gustavo"

Huck Kennedy huck at eninet.eas.asu.edu
Thu Jul 26 21:38:29 EDT 2007

Chris UK writes:
> I'll pass, thanks. But others hereabouts might like to know of his
> forthcoming "first Volcadas & Colgadas Tango Seminar in Europe".
>
> For beginners upwards. At $750 per person.
>
> Yes, you read that correctly. Details at http://tinyurl.com/273mqu .

     The course is actually 550 euros for 20 hours.  550
divided by 20 is 27.5 euros per hour.  By way of comparison,
the classes at the upcoming Moscow Tango Festival are an hour
and fifteen minutes and retail for 30 euros apiece.  But if
you buy a lot of them and pay in advance, that goes down to
24 euros per class, plus they throw in the milongas.  So
27.5 euros per hour is perhaps a bit pricy, but not
outrageous, at least by what apparently are normal European
standards for group classes from traveling professionals.

     The main problem is that a dollar used to be steadily
equivalent to a euro, within a penny or two.  That's where
it was at the end of Clinton's term as US President.  Now,
under George Bush, six years and countless dead bodies
later, it costs $750 to take the same course that would
have been $550, before George Bush decided to ring up the
largest deficit in US history by dumping billions of our
money (not to mention thousands of our lives and limbs)
into his sinkhole in Iraq, making our currency more and more
like toilet paper with each passing day.  But hey, what am
I complaining about, at least I still have all of my arms
and legs.

     So let's not lay the blame for the outrageousness of
$750 on Gustavo Naveira's doorstep, shall we.

Huck