[Tango-L] Four Layers of Tango Learning

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Wed Jul 25 14:48:36 EDT 2007

I'm coming late to this thread, but I have what is probably an
interesting observation.

Some people (Nina, as an example) seem to 'feel' things.  They have a
particular way of taking in and processing information.

Other people (David's son, see below) seem to do better if they have a
structure so they can analyze things.

Both of these are valid ways of perceiving, processing and
understanding. Psychologically they are quite different.

In addition to the cognitive difference above (well-recognized in
Myers-Briggs and other psychological cognitive inventories), there is
the physiological difference in people's mirror neuron skills.

Mirror neurons govern the ability to 'mimic' something you see in your
own body kinetics. Some people are very good at learning by watching.
While they are watching their sympathetic nervous system is rehearsing
the very same move and learning the technique.  Others don't have quite
so much of this in their body and they need to "step through" dance
moves and positions slowly with a partner and "feel" it kinetically to
understand and remember it.

Once again, it's the way we're made. No one can change it.  It does
great damage to deprecate someone by saying "just lead!!! it's
obvious!!!" or something like that.  Great way to discourage people who
are not made the way you are, to whom it is not obvious.  They just need
a different way of approaching and digesting the same information.

Good teachers will recognize these basic differences in personal style
and aptitude and will teach a couple of different way to slice the bread
to make the same sandwich.

Carol Shepherd