[Tango-L] Flaming women at classes

ceverett@ceverett.com ceverett at ceverett.com
Tue Jul 24 18:24:07 EDT 2007

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 04:12:55 -0400, "Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com)"
<spatz at tangoDC.com> said:

> We self-important tango assholes like to believe that so many people
> don't come back for a second lesson, or second month, because they're
> intimidated, or had a boo-hoo time, or some BS like that. And that's
> pure condescension on our part. Chances are, they just Weren't impressed.

A thought:

We give them multiple reasons to be unimpressed.  many reasons
have nought to do with the quality of our dance.  I think most
often they are not impressed with us as people.

Plenty of people come to a tango practice or class to meet new
people.  They tend to be rather nice people, IMO.  However they
want more than just a sense of welcome, but a feeling of being
around people just like like them.

In a small community, it doesn't take much to get them to decide
that they won't be happy, and so off they go.  This in fact has
little to do with how nice the people in the group themselves
are.  It's a matter of perception, and how other people interpret
minor events we don't see as important.

It's hard to get out of the trap of being a small community in
a smaller city.   There seems to be a barrier at 20 people they
find hard to break through.

In larger towns, multiple small circles interact; those truly
motivated to learn the dance can go elsewhere if they don't
like their current location.

Christopher