[Tango-L] Open Embrace Styles [was Rock step?]

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Tue Jul 24 10:45:47 EDT 2007

In discussing rock steps, I think Ron is quoting his own earlier post:
>"The rock step turns are part of the core repertoire of tango milonguero,
>yet these patterns are rare or non-existent in open embrace styles. I
don't
>know if anyone has codifed this rock-step system, but it does constitute
>core part of the 'structure of the dance' in tango milonguero."

I remain skeptical that there is an open-embrace style of tango.  Some
people--mostly beginners and those performing on stage--dance with a more
open embrace.

If we are to claim differences between the so-called milonguero- and
salon-style dances, I would point to differences in the woman's footwork
on turns and to the relative use of double-time steps.

See Nina's earlier post:
http://pythia.uoregon.edu/~llynch/Tango-L/2006/msg05365.html

With best regards,
Steve