[Tango-L] Rock step?

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 08:50:30 EDT 2007

On 7/24/07, Keith <keith at tangohk.com> wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> I never expected such a prolonged discussion over such a simple thing as
> the Rock-Step. Whatever we call it, we all know it exists in Tango and it's
> one of the very first steps that beginners use in navigating around the
> floor. But the more we learn, the less the Rock-Step should be used. As
> Aron's partner says ... " it should be used only when really needed" or, to
> quote Janis from a private message that I hope she won't mind me using ... "
> Milongueros are more creative than rock steps."

Keith,

I'll remember never to send you a 'private' message.

The more dancers learn, the less prominent NON-turning rock steps become.
For some dancers, as they learn more steps, they stop walking.  Tango
instructors would go broke if  they taught walking technique.  They can live
off of tango if they teach 'cool steps'.

In the milonguero style, rock steps inititate the turning ocho cortado,
turns to the right and left with sacadas (grapevine turns), and various half
and full turns that do not follow the grapevine pattern. These become a
standard part of the milonguero style tango repertoire. They have a
functional use for crowded floors, less so for uncrowded floors. Dancers who
do not stay in the line of dance also do not need them.

The original point of the discussion was to question Ron's assertion that ..
> the rock-step system constitutes a core part of the 'structure of the dance'
> in tango milonguero." I think the replies have shown that it doesn't.

The original point of the discussion was in response to Stephen Brown's
description of the structure of the dance.

"The rock step turns are part of the core repertoire of tango milonguero,
yet these patterns are rare or non-existent in open embrace styles. I don't
know if anyone has codifed this rock-step system, but it does constitute a
core part of the 'structure of the dance' in tango milonguero."

Note the reference is to TURNS that incorporate the rock step. It was in
response to Steve's discussion of the Mingo Pugliese system.

Keith, you didn't understand the original post.  You took the term 'rock
step' out of context and blew it out of proportion.

I still dance rock-steps because I teach and dance a lot with my beginners.
> But if I find myself doing one with an experienced follower, the thought
> that pops into my head is ... " Oh god, you moron - is that the best you can
> do - a boring rock step". If I can catch myself in time, I'll at least try
> to put a lot of turn on it - as Gavito teaches in his Video, Un Tal Gavito.

I hope the women I dance with don't think walking is boring and tell me they
want to be led to at least 20 boleos and 10 ganchos in a 3 minute tango,
along with all the volcadas and colgadas that are infecting US dance floors.
Connect with your partner and the music first and learn to navigate. A good
leader focuses on that rather than step vocabulary. If the woman enjoys the
dance, she won't report to her friends what steps the man did and did not
do. Turns are not performed because they are in the dancer's repertoire and
need to be exhibited to the audience to show the dancer's prowess. They are
used because of the navigational needs of the floor, out of respect for
other dancers.

Ron