[Tango-L] Rock step?

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Tue Jul 24 01:53:46 EDT 2007

Hi Everybody,

I never expected such a prolonged discussion over such a simple thing as the Rock-Step. Whatever we call it, we all know it exists in Tango and it's one of the very first steps that beginners use in navigating around the floor. But the more we learn, the less the Rock-Step should be used. As Aron's partner says ... " it should be used only when really needed" or, to quote Janis from a private message that I hope she won't mind me using ... " Milongueros are more creative than rock steps."  The original point of the discussion was to question Ron's assertion that .. the rock-step system constitutes a core part of the 'structure of the dance' in tango milonguero." I think the replies have shown that it doesn't.

I still dance rock-steps because I teach and dance a lot with my beginners. But if I find myself doing one with an experienced follower, the thought that pops into my head is ... " Oh god, you moron - is that the best you can do - a boring rock step". If I can catch myself in time, I'll at least try to put a lot of turn on it - as Gavito teaches in his Video, Un Tal Gavito.

Keith, HK

 On Tue Jul 24  5:40 , Ecsedy Áron  sent: