[Tango-L] Flaming women at classes

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 22:50:07 EDT 2007

Hi Chris,

The reality is that if a beginning woman goes to a milonga
or a practica on a fairly regular basis, she's likely to be
lead into stuff like boleos or ganchos or paradas before
she is even taught those elements in class.  In fact, when
Sean & I finally teach some of those things in a class
setting, we have to teach the women what is NOT a gancho or
boleo or whatever.

That's why I said that it can just be overenthusiasm. It's
normal for women to want to do pretty things on the dance
floor.  So they watch other women, who may unfortunately
not be the best role models, and try to imitate them.
Since the pressure for women is to move and do the step,
they tend to anticipate.  They want to be "right", but that
is somewhat independent of teaching style.  If a woman only
dances with good leaders, then anticipation is less likely
to happen.

But let's get real.  A beginning woman cannot tell a good
leader from a bad leader as readily as an experienced
dancer can.  And she may try to please a mediocre leader
more than a good leader.  Beginners are easily impressed.

Trini de Pittsburgh