[Tango-L] Flaming women at classes

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 17:01:15 EDT 2007

Hi Andrew,

Perhaps I can add some insight into what I think Nina
means.

If a man decides that he doesn't want to lead volcadas,
colgadas, back ochos, or whatever, he doesn't have to learn
how to do it.  (BTW, I actually had a student who once
decided that he didn't want to lead back ochos, so he never
did it.  He didn't advance very far, but I had to respect
his choices.)

However, a woman can't just decide that she just doesn't
want to do back ochos, or forward ochos, or turns.  Even a
novice going to her first milonga is likely to experience
an ocho or molinete even if she's never been taught.

So the man is limited by what he knows moreso than a woman
is.

As a follower who also leads, a lot of what I do AS A
LEADER comes from what I personally experience as a
follower.  So I learn how certain men time things, how they
lead things.  I take those experiences as a follower into
my dance when I lead and I try to recreate those
experiences for my partner.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Andrew RYSER SZYMAÑSKI <arrabaltango at yahoo.co.uk>

http://www.academia-del-tango-argentino.com/html/france/textes/texte4_fr.htm