[Tango-L] Structure of Tango (Was: Four Layers of Tango Learning)

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Fri Jul 20 16:59:38 EDT 2007

I think many of us who have been dancing for a while write and talk about
the structure of tango without really defining what we mean.  I'm
expanding on my previous post.

If we think of tango as being made up of individual movements and
sequences of movements (step patterns), the structure of tango is the
fabric from which these movements are drawn.  Elements of the
structure of tango were discovered and systemized by two different groups
of dancers/instructors.

One such approach emerged from a group of dancers led by Petroleo (Carlos
Estevez) and Salvador Sciana during the golden age of tango.  The group
explored and developed turns.  Mingo Pugliese was one of the youngest
members of the group, and he is credited for distilling the group's
thinking into a systematic approach to teaching turns (giros) as
generalized eight-count right and left turns.  The system serves as a
frame of reference for creating all turning steps including giros,
molinettes, enrosques and ganchos.

Another approach emerged from a group of dancers led by by Gustavo Naveira
and has included such other dancers/teachers as Fabian Salas, Chicho
Frumboli, and (possibly) Pablo Veron.  With
contributions from his then partner, Olga Besio, and some of his
compatriots, Naveira developed a systematic way for looking at all the
movement possibilities in tango.  Some of the concepts included parallel
and crossed systems of walking, ochos as part of the system of turns,
boleos as an interuption of turns, and the equivalence between cross
walking and back ochos.  Naveira's system serves as a frame of reference
for creating all tango steps.  In addition, the system help bring into
visibility some step patterns such as overturn ochos and a change of
direction in turns that were not previously used with much frequency.

These underlying structures can provide a frame of reference and an
encyclopedia of tango movement.  Mastery of these structures can greatly
increase the fluidity of a tango dancer's improvisational skills.  (What
is required for such mastery, I will leave for further discussion, but it
takes much more than 6 weeks.)

Some of the structural elements of tango are:

     Walks (Caminatas)
           parallel foot, in line
           parallel foot, outside right
           parallel foot, outside left
           cross foot, in line
           cross foot, outside right
           cross foot, outside left
           arrastres or barridas (drags or sweeps)
     Turns (Giros)
           forward ocho
           backward ocho
           giro
           giro with sacadas
           boleo/amague
           molinete (with lapiz)
           enrosque
           forward enrosque
           arrastres or barridas (drags or sweeps)
           planeo
           change of axis steps
           change of direction steps
     Sandwiches (Mordidas)
     Embellishments (Adornos, Firuletes)
     Structural Connections
           basic step as a hallway
           basic step as a turn
           parallel and cross foot walking
           interchangability between back ochos and cross-foot walking
           lapiz-enrosque

For further reading,  I recommend reading Brian Dunn's interview with
Gustavo Naveira:
http://pythia.uoregon.edu/~llynch/Tango-L/2006/msg04984.html
http://pythia.uoregon.edu/~llynch/Tango-L/2006/msg05040.html

For a visual representation I recommend the videos by Gustavo Naveira and
Olga Besio and those by Daniel Trenner.
See: http://www.tejastango.com/video_resources.html#Structure

The Pugliese videos might also be helpful, but I find those videos are bit
less direct about the fact they are teaching from a structural system.
See http://www.tejastango.com/bridge_tango.html#Pugliese

Even better attend the Gustavo Naveira workshops that are upcoming

With best regards,
Steve