[Tango-L] French architecture in Buenos Aires

Amaury de Siqueira amaurycdsf at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 23:00:11 EDT 2007

Dear Janis,

I guess you missed the next statement referring to the
dynamics of
colonialism in South America.  It is not uncommon (in
South America) to see
colonial societies embracing the ways of the old
country as the 'proper
culture' while looking down at the native forms of
arts.

Europeans exterminated the Araucarian Indians as well
as the African slaves
in Argentine.  South American History as was taught
during the 60's and 70's
was very clearly Euro-centric.

There are still many parts of porteno culture that
have not overcome this
complex of inferiority towards Europe.

These are my two cents for all that is worth.
Amaury