[Tango-L] Should the dance style (not the social) be referred to as"Milonga" or" Argentine Milonga"?

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 19 13:24:49 EDT 2007

Dear John,

Argentina has three ballroom dances:

1-Tango
2-Milonga
3- Argentine Vals

They are three distinct dances . They should not be called styles.

Tango has different styles:  Salon, Milonguero, Nuevo, Canyengue, Liso,
Orillero, etc.

There is also Finnish Tango, American Tango, European Tango.

There are two styles of milonga:

The Milonga Campera or Sureña (the original) and the city milonga
(the one we normally dance nowadays).
Other words could be used in reference to milonga such as Milonga Candombera
. (the meaning of this is  that it may have something of Candombe rhythm).

A milonga is a place where tango, milonga and vals are danced as well.

Vals is sometimes called "Vals Cruzado".  A reference to the fact that the
woman locks her feet in front at certain moments.

Best regards, Sergio