[Tango-L] Should the dance style (not the social) be referred to as "Milonga" or" Argentine Milonga"?

John H. Walton jwalton at cix.co.uk
Thu Jul 19 11:35:00 EDT 2007

My DanceWeb site supports many different dance style, and although It
initially had a UK audience, it is now slowly being expanded to cover
more countries (starting with USA/Canada).

The site already recognises styles of "Tango (Argentine)" and "Tango
(Ballroom)". Partly as a result of our BBC TV programme "Strictly Come
Dancing", the style of "Milonga" is now being taught as well, and I have
been requested to support this style.

My question is:

Can I refer to this style as simply "Milonga" or is it necessary to refer
to it as "Argentine Milonga" (or even "Tango (Milonga)"? This is
important both for organisations who enter dance classes, and dancers who
search or browse for classes. I note that Wikipedia just uses the word
Milonga for the music and the related dance form.

(Just to confuse matters, I already use the word Milonga to refer to any
Argentine Tango Social event, a practice very common in the UK).

Best Regards, John
http://www.danceweb.co.uk/tango