[Tango-L] How about 6 Hours?

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Thu Jul 19 10:45:08 EDT 2007

;-)  ;-)

IMNSHO, the standard approaches to teaching tango handicaps people in
learning tango.  First the teachers teach the wrong material to beginners
and then cover it up by pretending that learning the basics of tango is
much harder than it is.

Of course, the instructors have to cope with people who suddenly have
brain freeze when they are confronted to moving to the music.  That is why
it is important to break the dance into small rhythmic elements that can
be learned by beginners.  (The 8-count basic and its derivatives promote
brain freeze in beginners.)  That is also why not all of the students can
learn to dance passably in 6-8 weeks, even when taught correctly--only the
majority can.  (Okay, here I will concede that people attracted to tango
in Dallas might be more rhythmically gifted than those in Atlanta and Hong
Kong.)

How much additional work is required to move from passable competence to a
higher level of competence and then mastery depends on a lot of
factors--including how much time the would-be dancer puts into practicing,
and how many wrong directions they get from their instructors.

My own experience as a beginner is relatively familiar:  In a two
different series of classes that Susan and I took as beginners with two of
the "great masters" we learned two different 32 step sequences complete
with the prescribed embellishments.  We were "dancing" tango for about
half a year before we had an instructor who helped us understand that the
dance has an underlying structure from which the step patterns are
created, and several years before someone really taught us a good
understanding of the rhythm.  We were lucky that the latter two
instructors came along.  Had they not, we might have remained among those
thinking that they dance tango while remaining hopelessly trapped in
unrhythmic patternitis.

Sure tango instruction has changed since the early 90s--when Susan and I
first started learning tango--but much of what passes for instruction
remains rote learning "graded" sets of step patterns with some attention
to the quality of movement, and nothing else.  We consider rhythm as the
basis of tango and improvisation as one of its most important
characteristics, but most instructors ignore rhythm and treat
improvisation as an advanced topic.

With best regards,
Steve