[Tango-L] 1930s - Argentine musicians in Russia?

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Wed Jul 18 19:29:46 EDT 2007

Nina,
Tango was the most popular dance in Europe from 1920 till 1950 and longer.
my uncle danced tango every weekend in 1950-1955 at parties at their house.
I know a woman who remembered dancing tango in Paris in 1944-1946. I knew a
man who danced tango in Ireland in 1920s 5 days a week !

I know that there was a lot of records of German, French, Polish, Russian
orchestras with good tangos. It seems to me Argentinean records got their
way to the European dance parties either. I have no idea that some of the
musicians were from Argentina. Probably not after 1930. Before - yes - even
Canaro was in Paris, right?

Where are those records
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a handful remained.

Does anyone know about video of tango dance of the period 1910-1930

Yes, it seems to me the music was slightly different ( reminding of salon
Argentine Tangos of 1920s period ) and the dancing was probably different
either. But only videos could tell more about it.

How about America? Armstrong introduced a little of Tango in one of his
earlier pieces. He wouldn't do it if it would be popular at some period
there.

Does anyone knows about other american tango records?

Igor Polk