[Tango-L] 5/8s

Konstantin Zahariev anfractuoso at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 18:39:09 EDT 2007

Dear Jeff,

I appreciate your examples. Perhaps I should not have mentioned a time
signature, as this was really irrelevant to the point I was making
about the suspected morphing of the 3-long block into a 2-long block
in the habanera in the process of oral transmission of music by
sailors and other travellers. I don't think providing some examples of
possibly related irregular rhythms in eastern Europe and elsewhere
necessarily discounts the possibility that this process occurred.

I have also not claimed that 5/8 and other irregular rhythms only came
from Africa or that they did not exist anywhere else. This would be an
absurd claim for me as I am Bulgarian by birth, and for me it is
natural to function in compositions in 5/8 (2-3), 7/8 (2-2-3 or 2-3-2
or 3-2-2), 9/8 (2-2-2-3), 11/8 or whatever else irregular rhythms you
may think of. I consciously excluded a discussion of the
Bulgarian/Balkan contribution to that as the context was tango (and
western Europe). In that regard, your Russian examples are also not
completely on point geographically..

A separate point is that it matters how the rhythm pattern or accents
are spaced. The time signature by itself does not provide that
information. So it is possible to have a piece in 5/8 or 5/4 that is
fundamentally different from a 5/8 or 5/4 piece that has a 2-3 rhythm
division, i.e. only two accents (strong pulses) that come at uneven
intervals. Another example, in Bulgaria a 9/8 would commonly be a
2-2-2-3 division (4 accents, irregular), whereas a 9/8 in western
Europe would commonly be  3-3-3 division, waltz-like and perfectly
regular.

I agree that the 3-long 2-long blocks are likely to have to do with
speech patterns. I also agree with the substance of your last
paragraph about the tendencies in first completely discounting and
later seemingly over-stating the black influence. We seem to be moving
towards a more objective view, however.

With best regards,

Konstantin
Victoria, Canada