[Tango-L] To moderate or not to moderate... be aware of Miles argument

Amaury de Siqueira amaurycdsf at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 16:16:33 EDT 2007

My first experience with list moderation date as far
back as 1993-4 with the
KMUG (Kansai Mac Users Group) list.  At the end of the
day moderation was as
detrimental to the list as non-moderation.

One of the rationales behind list moderation is
sustenance of an online
community.  Implicit in this argument is the idea that
constant disruption
and flame war is likely to push certain members to
leave the community thus
eroding the quality of membership and content of
postings.

The bottom line for me is the 'age' of a list.  That
is, an old established
list with strong membership and displaying high
quality posting may not be
susceptible to the eroding effects of flame and
disruption.  It seems to me
that this list's quality FAR exceed the once in a
while virulent posting of
some listeras. ;)

Some flames evolve into rich discussion and edifying
exchanges.  Nina's
abhorrent posting is a good case in point.  I learned
as a result of an
initial nonsensical posting - (thank you to
Konstantin, Huck, and all
others)

A censored list may strip the list of its richness of
expression.  Granted
we should all try to display certain level of
civility.   However, I must
say that the entertainment value of some postings
bring a smile to my face.
That alone makes it all worthwhile.

Cheers,
Amaury