[Tango-L] Origins

Konstantin Zahariev anfractuoso at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 14:51:53 EDT 2007

On 7/18/07, Tom Stermitz <stermitz at tango.org> wrote:
> [...]
> Certainly, wealthy "jailaifs" would go "slumming" in downtown
> nightclubs, which to me presumes (but doesn't prove) that there was
> tango in brothels at least in the occasional sense.

Dear Tom,

Thank you for great comments. In regards to your last sentence
(above), I just wanted to make it clear that what I consider a myth is
the claim that tango _originated_ or was _born_ in brothels. That it
was subsequently danced there - more or less occasionally, is fairly
likely or perhaps even documented (although one can question the
definition of 'brothel' or the provenance of the evidence, or the
motive of the source). However, there is a very significant difference
between that and the claim that it originated there.

I just think that it is time to put some of these well-worn myths to
bed. To me the likely real story (as I indicated in my previous
posting) is so much more interesting, tender, and beautiful than the
tired cliches about prostitution, violence, and exoticism.

With best regards,

Konstantin
Victoria, Canada