[Tango-L] Origins

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Wed Jul 18 14:20:38 EDT 2007

Thanks for this.

I also noticed that Sergio ran together the categories of historical
milongas from the previous century with our modern concept of milonga
which dates from the 1930s.  As you say, there are very few primary
sources that allow us to figure out the exact truth when we go back
before the 1920s.

"Brothel" may or may not be the same thing as "Dance Hall" or
"nightclub". One would assume that men met women at locations that
varied from respectable to dis-reputable, and from high-class to low-
class. One would assume that women were protected, controlled or
allowed freedom, paid or not paid depending on numerous factors. In a
culture of extreme poverty and wealth, the difference between a
prostitute, mistress, and girlfriend may also be ambiguous.

Certainly, wealthy "jailaifs" would go "slumming" in downtown
nightclubs, which to me presumes (but doesn't prove) that there was
tango in brothels at least in the occasional sense.