[Tango-L] 6 months

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Wed Jul 18 12:27:55 EDT 2007

I generally accept Tete's perspective that dancing tango is about the
music not the steps.  Tete's perspective does suggest that it is quite
possible to learn to dance tango reasonably well in six months.  In fact,
when Susan and I were teaching on a regular basis about half our beginning
students in group classes were ready to dance passably at a milonga in
abut 6-8 weeks of once a week lessons for an hour's duration.

Why don't many students learn to dance in six months?  For many years,
most of the instruction in Argentine tango has been about mastering step
patterns.  I don't think the problem is in teaching step patterns per se.
I think it is in concentrating on teaching step patterns to the exclusion
of teaching to skills that must come first--such as moving to the music
and a general understanding of how tango is danced.

Teaching beginning tango as walking and as small elements of movement
creates the possibility of emphasizing the rhythm of the music.  The
beginning students can assemble these small movements to dance.

After the students have mastered some basic rhythmic and movement skills,
learning something about the underlying structure of the tango would be
helpful.  Along the way, some refinement of movement is good.  After that
the dancer is well prepared to take lessons from some of the many
instructors who teach tango as step patterns.  With good quality movement,
a knowledge of the rhythm and the underlying structure of tango, the
dancer can actually learn something useful from those who are teaching
step patterns.  Without that knowledge, all that step patterns become mini
choreographies.

With best regards,
Steve