[Tango-L] World Class tango dancers....

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Tue Jul 17 19:38:47 EDT 2007

Nino wrote:

If you are not Argentine, you cannot be a world-class tango
dancer and might as well forget about it because the world of tango,
with all the "classy" dancing,  begins and ends in Argentina.:)  This
is an absolute.

Well Nina, you might want to rethink what you have written.  Junior
Cervila,  he is in my opinion an excellent dancer and
from..........Brasil.  The same for Paulo Araujo.  In NYC there is Angel
Clemente Garcia, one of the best ..... and a Mexican.  There are people
from other places as well that are wonderful dancers.

I have been dragged and pushed around the floor like a dust mop by
several Argentine name brands who without a choreographed dance could
not lead their way out of a dark cave with 1000 lit torches.  There are
many Argentines who cannot dance gracefully or elegantly.  Sometimes I
watch them and I cannot for the life of me figure out what people think
is so great about them other than they speak English, charge lots of
money, and are arrogant, therefore, they must be good.

Now another myth....there are not a million wonder dancers here.  It is
all relative.  When I came here in 2000 I thought each and everyone of
them was wonderful, incredible.  I marveled at what I thought was
dancing to the music.  Now I live and dance here and I can tell you,
that here is no better here than there.  (Wherever there is) There are
maybe less than 10 men I want to dance with.  Here is the
difference...we have more dancers, more places to dance.  So it might
seem like there are lots more good dancers.  It is all relative.  If you
live in Iowa then San Francisco seems like Mecca.  I lived in San
Francisco and as I commuted to Buenos Aires, San Francisco did not seem
much like Mecca to me.  The percentages of good dancers "should" be
higher when there are more dancers....because there are more dancers.

Dancing with bad dancers.  I don't do it.  Not knowingly.  The best
dancers here male and female sit until they want to dance.  When the
music is right, when there is someone to dance with.  Once this
gentleman I know came into the milonga. He came to get me to dance to a
tanda.  He told me that I was going to be his only tanda of the evening
and then he was going to leave.  His reason was the women left him
uninspired.  Maybe this sounds harsh, but this is not unusual here.  One
night we went to 3 milongas because we as women were uninspired.  We
were trying to find out where the men were to dance with.  We ended up
drinking champagne in Gricel.

What happens when I accept a dance with a man who is not that good.    I
dance with him if he is a nice guy.  It is not his fault we both made a
mistake.  If he is completely undanceable, at least for me.  I have no
choice but to end the dance.  To walk off the floor here is an insult to
one of the parties.  Usually it is a verguenza for the man, not me.
Here you need to earn the right to walk off the floor.  I can do it, but
I do not like to.  Not unless the man is a total jerk, or he is hurting
me with his horrible dancing.  How do I dance with them?  I concentrate
very hard on my balance and axis to stay upright, and many times I have
to look at the floor because there is no lead.  Even more so I do not
dance close embrace if the dancer is really poor.  Then I would really
be dragged around.  If the man is from the U.S. and used to dancing
patterns, I have to watch his feet.  I no longer live in the U.S. and
therefore do not know what patterns are now being taught, so I have to
figure out the steps before they happen.

The point is that tango is tango.