[Tango-L] la DOLCE vita

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 14:11:45 EDT 2007

--- "Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com)" <spatz at tangoDC.com> wrote:

Sean> "Budweiser beer and Armani suits are both world class
products."

Jake> Huddling these two under the same umbrella makes
"world class" rather a meaningless term now, doesn't it?

That was almost my point. I would call it an undefined
term, rather than meaningless. As Jeff pointed out,
"Budweiser is only world-class in the same sense the
MacDonald's is - it's a well-run corporation & you can find
it everywhere."

We have no way of knowing what Keith means when he talks
about producing world class dancers, but I think we can
safely assume that he's not using the phrase to mean the
same thing that Nina uses it to mean. When people toss
undefined terms around, we are only able to interpret them
based on what we know about them from prior posts.  As Ron
has observed, Keith's pedagogy is formed around his
perception of economic necessity. Given his focus on
perceived market forces, I believe his use of the term
"world class" is similar to my Budweiser example. That's
why I huddled the disparate meanings under the same
umbrella and suggested that the phrase not be taken
seriously.

Sean

Postscript:

Jake> "Last time I checked, Guinness and Zegna were brand
names."

The irony was intentional. I shouldn't have bothered. By
now I should know better than to attempt humor on the 'L.
Although I must admit that this time, the delivery was
poorly executed.