[Tango-L] la dulce vita

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Tue Jul 17 05:24:00 EDT 2007

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) wrote:
> And at some level those cultural values still influence our tango
> dancers.

The ones who brag about preferring Zegna, anyway.
> In a culture that values surplus quantity, teachers must
> work very hard to inspire their students to strive for
> quality. On the other hand, teachers who are out to sell a
> step a week can make an easy profit in the short run, at
> the cost of destroying our dance environment.

Besides being facile as "cultural analysis," the isn't remotely true of
tango teachers. I've seen purveyors of "quality" who are pure crap, and
step-centric teachers who get dancers striving for real quality simply
by moving with it themselves. Don't assume that everyone buys the
advertising, especially in this country.
> Budwiser beer and Armani suits are both world class products.
Huddling these two under the same umbrella makes "world class" rather a
meaningless term now, doesn't it?
> But I'm not ready to abandon Guiness or Zegna. I
> suppose I am one of those rare people who prefer quality
> over brand names.

Last time I checked, Guinness and Zegna were brand names.

Jake
DC