[Tango-L] Women's technique

Club~Tango*La Dolce Vita~ dani at tango-la-dolce-vita.eu
Sat Jul 14 13:44:21 EDT 2007

Club ~Tango*La Dolce Vita~
~ Dani Iannarelli ~

Dear HongKong Keith and all othet List Tangueros,

>Yes Sean, we read a lot on Tango-L about all the new, modern methods you Americans have
>devised to teach Tango. Strange though that, so far, it hasn't produced a single world class Tango dancer. Keith HK

Nice one, Keith...! Great stuff!
But... methinks there will now be a litany of flaming coming your way... good luck!

[NB For all you paranoics over there... this posting is NOT anti-American! ;-)))]

However, although I have also heard similar reportS (I emphasise the plural) about the standard of US tango (and I should say that some of these 'reports' are not just from the tango plebs/'rank-and-file' but from the higher echelons), I have to say that it is difficult although not incorrect to generalise. There are good and bad dancers in all countries/races/cultures, good and bad teachers in all countries/races/cultures. Just because there has been no production (your assertion... as personally, I don't know) of so-called 'world class' tangueros from the USA, doesn't mean that there are no superb, decent or half-decent tangueros out there.

Problem is (and I completely agree with you here) that what we tend to read from the Americans (nothing personal, Yanks, just an observation) are reams and reams of in-depth, unnecessary diatribes of at what precise angle should the little toe (for example) be deviated to execute a particular 'move'. Also, we get cockeyed methods of 'the best ways to teach', nutty exercises and how to invite someone to dance.

It's as if the natural extrapolation is to approach the American military to devise some robotic, laser-guided, bionic suit that will precision-enhance what we do on the dance floor and indeed how we approach our prospective targets (perhaps some sort of infra-red implant in our eyeball that will attract a target on the other side of the salon to dance).

Too much analysis.

I say, bloody hell... just dance!

Very best wishes
Dani ~