[Tango-L] So, what is better, heel of toe?

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Thu Jul 12 13:38:02 EDT 2007

So what is better: heel first or ball first?

I have found out of the people's responses and watching some videos of
masters ( did not really paid much attention to it before), there are some
preferences, but they are rather personal. All great dancers are fluent in
both methods, and it is possible to dance in any style with any method. And
mixing the methods makes the performance much richer.

I myself dance on heels, on toes, on flat, in open and in close, with lean,
without lean, fast, slow, sharp, smooth. And I like everything equally.

Janis put it right: it does not matter much what goes first. Although at
advanced level it matters because all three have different feeling,
opportunities, and limitations. So the advanced dancer should know them all.

Landing on heel in tango is not a normal walk. It has special technique
connected to the way one leads and uses his leg. It is a vital way to know.
Sometimes one who is stepping on the balls is using exactly the same
technique, but it is hidden. With heel-first walk it is highlighted.

Imagine this: one lands on the heel: weight is not transferred yet ( this is
the way ). This is phase one. Then there is phase two when the weight is
brought to be projected above the heel. Than it could be the phase three
when one transfers weight from heel to the ball. This could be the whole
step by itself ! Each of the phases gives birth to a variety of feeling,
influences, responses, and rhythmical plays..

Landing on the ball can be done similarly. Reaching of the leg forward,
stretching the leg forward can be done during both ways. Or not. Stepping
backward, landing on the heel extends leg straighter, on the toe - we can
bend the leg in a different way.

Dancing on the heel is easier for a man dancing with a beginner woman - yes,
to stop her from running away which most of them do. A man is much more
stable to hold her from all this wobbling when he lands on the heel. Landing
on the ball - that is possible only with advanced women. It is much more
strain on the foot and should be used with caution, especially if one dances
20 hours a week. When I was a beginner, my feet hurt a lot until I have
mastered landing on the heel and on the flat foot technique. Now - I can
dance with ease for many hours - no pain ! I think this is the major reason
why the heel-first is better for beginners.

And it goes on and on..

Igor.

Igor Polk
ipolk at virtuar.com