[Tango-L] Who is teaching toe-first method of walking?

Gary Barnes garybarn at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jul 10 21:35:44 EDT 2007

Hi Igor  and all

Lots of people teach toe-first (actually I would say 'ball first' --
the only real 'toe first' is en pointe).

In my experience, they are mostly people who trained first in ballet.

Some who teach this, but by no means all, also dance like this. For
women especially, its very clear that if their heel never touches the
ground, then the ball of the foot always gets both first contact and
weight.

Many teachers, despite what they teach, actually dance like most
people: with the placement of both first contact, and weight, varying
hugely depending on where they are going and where they have been, in
a usefully dynamic way.

Excellent dancers have great control over this; the rest of us do as
we can.  I think its generally a distraction for beginners to even
think about this stuff.

I used to get annoyed at the discrepancy between what people teach
and what they do: I am gradually learning to find it entertaining
instead...

Gary