[Tango-L] When a man asks me to dance -

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Fri Jul 6 16:49:52 EDT 2007

Was it you, Robin?

Just yesterday, I have danced with several people I did not dance with or
danced very long time ago. I have made amazing discoveries. How can you
start knowing someone other than trying to dance with her or him?

Well, there are styles favorable by your partner and yourself, but one
should be able do dance to all styles. This is called musicality. I do not
understand why many people think that one can dance only to one style of
music? That is the whole fun - to dance well to many kinds of music.

A good dancer listens to music and tries to dance the way music tells him to
dance. The one who dances the same way all the time just memorized his way
of dancing. He is lucky if a DJ put the right music for him, otherwise it is
wrong and boring, I understand you. But this is not the way it should be.

Igor.
PS you can consider ability to dance differently to different orchestras the
second level of musicality. Contrary to ability to dance well to the music
of a favorite style.

Robin Tara said:

The first question I ask myself is ³Do I know him and his dancing².  Then I
think of the music and how it suits his style and how it suits me. Am I
familiar with it? Does it matter with this partner? Then I accept or not.

There are Pugliese guys and d¹Arienzo guys and DiSarli guys.  There are
milonga guys and vals guys and nuevo guys. There¹s the guy who holds me as
if I were a treasure and the guy who sings as he dances. There are reasons
to dance with all of them, at the right time and in the right music.

Igor told a story:
Once ( in