[Tango-L] Classic alternative?

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Fri Jul 6 13:32:04 EDT 2007

I do like to dance tango to good music other than tango.

Unfortunately, this music is not the music played mostly at alternative
milongas.

You said "alternative music" is simplistic. The problem is that so called
"alternative music" for tango does not have style. It is an eclectic mix. It
is a byproduct of pop-music, it is "soap" music. Much of it functions well
creating a good mood, but as the whole it lucks many thing. It is visible
that many authors are trying to lift their music higher in musical
qualities, but since it still stays the part of pop-music these efforts are
bound to fail.

Music at alternative milongas is assembled to satisfy dancing styles of Neo
Tango dancers. Like Homer. It supposed to be slooooww. Since this style of
dancing is very young and just developing, there is no matching musical
tradition, musical trend. So they just pick up pieces here and there which
are more suitable for their dancing.

The best "Non-Tango Tango" ( that is how I prefer to call it) are swing,
foxtrot, salsa, rumba, samba, indian music, anything which is the part of
established musical and dancing tradition. I have found that Disco style
music is great for non-tango too. Especially for those who like ( and are
able to dance) rhythmic driving style of tango - orillero. I have danced to
Cajun music - they watched in amusement asking what we are doing - they
liked it.

It is difficult to preserve dancing skills from generation to generation.
Music is much easier to preserve. That is why all this music: swing, samba,
and so on is easy to dance the right dance to: it is preserving style once
you start dancing to the music. If you are good, sooner or later you will
dance the right dance to it. Because dance is in our body, not in the minds
of teachers. There is no such thing for alternative tango. Alternative Tango
( Neo Tango - the name I prefer to call it, and now you understand why )
does not have matching music style yet. And that is the real problem for
them.

There is a problem with it located beyond musical qualities. Once ( in
Denver ) a DJ started to play a set of great old foxtrots. What could be
better for a milonga ! I invited one young lady. She said "Not to this music
!". I said "Why - it is so perfectly danceable, driving?". "I hate it!!!"
she said.

Igor Polk
PS. Can you tell me why did she say so? I am interested to know, I am an
immigrant: this is beyond my understanding yet.