[Tango-L] What's the difference between a tango and a milonga?

Megan Pingree meganpingree at comcast.net
Wed Jan 31 00:40:47 EST 2007

Thank you, Ming Mar, for asking the same question that I asked on the
DJ list (without response).  I was beginning to wonder if I was the
only one.

The reason I asked is b/c I DJ,  and I like to put together fairly
cohesive tandas.  But with the apparently widespread uncertainty re
exactly how milongas, tango milongas and candombes are different, I
have felt as tho my decisions were rather arbitrary.

I appreciate the information about the structure (ABA vs AB), the
confirmations that it's not just the speed of tango as compared to
milonga.  and that drums are a big clue that it's candombe, and the
clarification that the milonga from which tango derived is different
from what we know as milonga today.

For you dancers out there: what do you like?

For you DJs out there:  Do you play candombe tandas?  Do you mix
candombe with milonga in a set?  I have been avoiding what sounds to
me like candombe all together b/c I don't like a whole tanda of them,
and I am not thrilled with mixing them with milonga b/c they do feel
different and require a mid-tanda adjustment that may not feel good
to dancers.

When it comes to tango milonga vs milonga, I have been just going by
the "feel" of it.  For example,  I could put Canaro's La Cara de La
Luna (~78bpm) into a set of snappy tangos (tho now that I look, I see
that I don't really have enough in that range to make a good tanda),
and the QP version (~92bpm) into a set of milongas.

seems reasonable? irresistible? :-)
Megan