[Tango-L] What's the difference between a tango and a milonga?

Ming Mar ming_mar at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 29 15:18:22 EST 2007

I pose this question to the musicians on this mailing
list.

The difference isn't speed.  If it were, then all the
tangos that Roberto Firpo played became milongas.  (He
played them really fast.)  But nobody considers them
milongas.

Is it the rhythm?  A lot of milongas, from "Milonga
Sentimental" to "Tango Negro," share the same rhythm,
viz.:  quarter note, quarter rest, eighth note, eighth
note, quarter note.  But "Taquito militar" doesn't use
that rhythm.

I thought I'd ask this question now because I noticed
that there were two musicians actively participating,
one a university-educated musician and the other a
member of a working tango band.